Tuesday, January 10

Food: Macarons


No, I did not make any macarons. I did not even try -- not with the humidity here in my part of the world.

But I got 2 packages of Bizu macarons last Christmas. One from my cousin, Jil, and another from my Tita and Tito.





So because someone in our household (ahem, me) is lacking the energy to cook, I'm just going to provide you a macaron recipe that I am most likely to try. It came from the Ladies Home Hournal website, and although the recipe says 'cookies', I really think they are actually macarons.


Clementine-Filled Cookies

Yield: 32 cookies
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 20 mins 300°F
Stand: 1 hr 50 mins

Ingredients:

  • 6 ounces blanched almonds 
  • 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar 
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons clementine zest 
  • 3 large egg whites 
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar 
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar 
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter 
  • 1 teaspoon clementine juice 
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice 

Directions:
  1. Line two baking sheets with parchment and fit a pastry bag with a 1/2-inch plain tip; set aside. 
  2. Blend almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar and 2 teaspoons zest; pulse to combine. 
  3. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Sprinkle in granulated sugar and whip to stiff peaks. 
  4. Fold almond mixture into egg whites in two batches. Transfer batter to pastry bag and pipe 1-inch rounds an inch apart on prepared baking sheets; let sit 1 hour at room temperature. 
  5. Heat oven to 300 degrees F with two racks centered. Bake, rotating position after 10 minutes, until cookies are golden, about 20 minutes. Cool completely before removing from parchment. 
  6. Make filling: Beat together butter, 1/2 teaspoon zest and juices. Add 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and beat until fluffy, 1 minute. Pipe a small amount on the bottom side of half the cookies; sandwich with the other cookies. Makes 32 cookies.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love those from Bizu :) Especially the chocolate flavored ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all-time favorites are mango and pistachio. Have you tried those?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...